[Gllug] Argos site

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Wed Jul 31 12:33:18 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 01:15:53PM +0100, Stephen Harker wrote:

> Not being a bigot, just wondering how a blind person would expect to
> use a website anyway?

Steve, it's not all pretty pictures. I use the web for getting hold of
APIs of the various Java libraries that I use, and do a lot of reading
of news sites and blogs. All of those are accessible (in theory) to a
blind person using a braille or screen reader.

I also know people who like to use screen readers to read a page to
them while they do something else in another window. If there's
something interesting in the page, they can swap back to the browser
and properly examine it.

Bad web design stops people using the web. Easy as that.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on
your computer."  --Bruce Graham

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk