[Gllug] Linux Expo demos

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Wed Jul 10 13:11:17 UTC 2002

On 10 Jul 2002, John HEARNS wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 12:15, John HEARNS wrote:
> > On a related note, at the UKUUG meeting at the weekend,
> > four of us were kicking ideas around as to demos to put on at
> > Linux Expo.
> > (I'm unlikely to attend this year :-(
> > How about this year 'we'  get some demos planned and installed
> > IN ADVANCE?
>

> > Another idea was to get as many different processors as possible
> > running Linux - in order to say "Hey! It's just not running on
> > Pentiums!"
> > We could probably get together:
> > Pentium, Mac (iBook? Steve C), Sun, ARM(Richard C), Alpha (James B)
>
> Owwwww. And I forgot PS/2 from the list.
>

> I reckon I can run with this one, if no-one objects.
> >From /usr/src/linux/arch on a 2.4 kernel here are the architectures:
>
> alpha  arm  cris  i386	ia64  m68k  mips  mips64  parisc  ppc  s390
> s390x  sh	sparc  sparc64

I've got 'different' PPC - the TiVo.  And I could probably track down an
UltraSPARC machine or two :-)

A Dreamcast is an SH, I believe, so we've got that covered.

> I reckon we can get most of these - anyone got a spare HP workstation,
> or an IBM mainframe they can cart down :-)

Anyone got an Itanic box?  Reckon we could sweet-talk Bo into lending us a
Hammer? :-)

> The big problem will be monitors I suppose - and space, if this idiot
> idea ever takes off.

Getting enough monitors shouldn't be a problem...  Space for them, and
schlepping them down to town might be...

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk