[Gllug] hostname not found

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jul 18 21:22:11 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 12:16:57PM -0700, Harry wrote:
> More fun
>
> Apache Squid and I suspect several other utilities have stopped working
> becasue they are unable to get the hostname of my debian box. My
> /etc/resolv.conf has the entries of my external DNS and the only thing
> that I can think is that I have got problems with my local DNS. Am I on
> the right track.
>
> I have been using the following for months with no problems.
>
> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.0.4 jenny

But is it using /etc/hosts ?  Does /etc/host.conf have a line like this:

order hosts,bind

Which tells the resolver to check the hosts file before trying the
nameservers listed in resolv.conf.

And also /etc/nsswitch.conf, which ought to have something like

hosts:          files dns

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.