[Gllug] creating bootable cdroms from .iso images

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jul 24 07:59:17 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 23:02, Mark Preston wrote:
> Hi all,

> Richard Cohen's description of making bootable CdRoms wasn't quite what I had
> in mind when I made the posting, but I found it very interesting.
> I would like to ask how difficult it would be to take a well known distro
> like Mandrake or Redhat and then take off a few files/ add a few files to
> create a bootable cdrom with some special interest files?
Thinking about this a bit more, it should be relatively easy to create
a customised RedHat distribution CD.

I guess that you should decide on the minumum spec for the machines that
it is likely to be deployed on, and make sure there is enough RAM and
disk space.

But one thing which worries me is backups. The sort of scenario you are
describing is where small offices run without the services of a
Unix/Linux sysadmin. As a fully paid up member of 't Trade Union I can
only say this is folly (Smile. I'm joking).
But seriously, you do need to think about backups.
I remember posting to the GLLUG list a few months ago about a backup
utility which backed up to writeable CDs, and also made disaster
recovery CDs. I reckon this should be included with the distribution.
Its no use populating your nice database if it ain't backed up.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk