[Gllug] Linux Expo demos

John HEARNS john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jul 10 10:15:30 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 11:52, Peter Chauncy wrote:
> I am setting up a Community Media Access space in Poplar, East London.  I
> have been following the demudi http://www.demudi.org/ list and their new EC
> funded Agnula http://www.demudi.org/ project.
>
> There seem to be a lot more tools out there than the last time that I
> looked.  I wonder if anyone in the London area has been  using Linux based
> music, video and audio tools ?  If there was any interest I would be very
> happy to host some sort of event to exchange info and the like

Sounds a good idea. Run with it!

On a related note, at the UKUUG meeting at the weekend,
four of us were kicking ideas around as to demos to put on at
Linux Expo.
(I'm unlikely to attend this year :-(
How about this year 'we'  get some demos planned and installed
IN ADVANCE?

Anyway, your idea of media tools would be great - set some
systems up with these tools.
Other things like the Blender animation package (recently gone
to an open source license), Povray rendering.
Maybe the Jahshaka compositing system:
http://jahshakafx.sourceforge.net/

And this suite I've just found on Sourceforge.
http://matterial.sourceforge.net/

Another idea was to get as many different processors as possible
running Linux - in order to say "Hey! It's just not running on
Pentiums!"
We could probably get together:
Pentium, Mac (iBook? Steve C), Sun, ARM(Richard C), Alpha (James B)

Another idea was quickie tutorials every  hour.
We've got an OpenOffice expert on the list!
Also a ten minute run through on Ethereal to say "Hey -
you can do heavy duty network troubleshooting on a Linux laptop"
And maybe one on Snort/Nessus etc.
Say run OpenOffice on the hour - the others at 15, 30, 45 minutes past?
But put a proper timetable up - and have a rota of the speakers.

Given that there should be two table sized stands (Tushar do you know?)
How about the
GLLUG "Effects Boutique of the Future" on one stand
and the
LONIX Tutorials Track on the other

Oooohhh.... I can feel a burst of enthusiasm coming on.

But any ideas will only work if prepared in advance.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk