[Gllug] Remote backups

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 07:56:19 UTC 2002

On Wed 24 Jul, John Edwards wrote:

> ps. Is it me or has the quality of tape drives fallen through the floor
> over the past few years. I've had serious problems with HP and Seagate
> DDS3 and DDS4 drives which are only a few months old, where as older DDS2
> models are still running after many years.

   I thought that the later models use much higher data densities, so are
more reliant on tight mechanical tolerances, clean environment, etc. Make
sure that the case fans are not pulling dirty air in through the drive, very
few suck air in through a filter and create a positive pressure inside the
box.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk