[Gllug] creating bootable cdroms from .iso images

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 23:57:52 UTC 2002

Hi all,
Just a short note to say thanks for all the replies.
I will reply more fully at the weekend. However, I feel that I ought to put
John Hearns out of his worry regarding loss of Unix sysadmin jobs/ workers
rights. In the area which I know about regarding dentists in this country the
number of Unix sysadmin jobs can probably only go up, because I doubt there
is one at present.
See

http://www.gnusense.uklinux.net/oss.html

for a web-page that shows how I hope things will alter for dentistry. The
powers that be are only piloting stage 1 on dial-up connections at present. I
would say Jim Bailey has described the likely future though.
For dentists read doctors/ nurses/ healthcare workers, or even patients for
other areas of healthcare.

The real danger in my view is for all healthcare records to become the
property of various health authorities/trusts, and be held in proprietary
formats. This, to some extent, is already happening. At the end of the day,
whatever jobs we all do it is likely that we'll all be patients at some time
or other and our future (electronic) health records should be held in the
format that best enables their use by anybody and everybody who treats us.
This is certainly not the case at present. I am endebted to Tony Shaper on
this list who told me that they did some research into hospital records. By
giving patients their own records to look after resulted in more
consultations with records available, compared to when the hospital were
"looking after" the records - even for the psychiatric patients!

--
Regards from Mark Preston

www.markpreston.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk