[Gllug] wireless

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Jul 23 23:16:49 UTC 2002

adr(gllug at mcmen.demon.co.uk)@Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:37:24PM +0100:
> On Tuesday 23 Jul 2002 1:09 pm, Daniel Andersson wrote:
>
> > so i should be okay getting
> > BUFFALO AIRSTATION WIRELESS BRIDGE (10/100 LAN INTERFACE) (128 WEP)
> > and then an airport.. ?
> >
> > sounds right a least :)
> >
> > what i want is
> >
> > mac -wireless-> switch -> rest of network
> >
> > ta
> >
> > / d
>
> Well, I'd be cautious about the upstairs/downstairs issue here. Most devices
> aren't good at broadcasting signals vertically.

don't be silly felly linuxoid, it'll completely depend upon which
direction the antanae is polarized, and what its orientation is.

> I don't have too much experince of this - my flat is all on one level - but
> I'd want somebody to tell me it would work before I did this.

so dont point it skywards.  unless it reeives signal perpendicular to
the pointed direction of the antanae.

IMHO, the biggest problem with 802.11x where x = some wireless protocol
is physical obstructions that do not propogate radio waves that are in
the path of said equipment.  oh, and gremlins, which get into the
ethersphere[1] and bork things up for you.

[1] that sphere of the planetoid that we occupy that transfers
communicationon signals used by ethernet protocols.  and any others that
my mildy inebriated rampant imagination can conceive of within this version
of reality.
my mildly inebreriated
--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk