[Gllug] root Desktop settings revert.

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Thu Jun 20 14:49:08 UTC 2002

* Russell Mackenzie <russmack at btinternet.com> spake thus:
> I'd be interested to hear how people learned this lesson. For me it was
> when I did rm -rf / - twice in two weeks!

rm -rf *

when located in /home.

It really hurt due to my super-space-efficent backup-scheme (none at
all*).

I am now carefully checking all commandlines that involve '*' and 'rm'
on the same line before hitting return.  Neither do I now *ever* log in
as root. I have sudo enabled, and the additional typing of 'sudo
potentially-dangerous-command' makes me extra allert.

Stig
[*] that's not entirely true, I had a mirror of some important files in
/home/backup -- ouch...

--
brautaset.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk