[Gllug] [OT] Advice for cheap hotel somewhere around the Barbican?

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu Jun 6 13:23:00 UTC 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> Richard Cohen(richard at vmlinuz.org)@Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:00:02PM +0100:
> > I'm going to a concert next week at the Barbican, and I've been trying to
> > help a Dutch couple who are coming over for it (e-fan club...).  Having
> > persuaded them that my driving them to Dover and back for a Monday evening
> > concert isn't going to happen (it's not like I actually *know* them, and
> > besides, the train is cheaper than the petrol), they've now asked for advice
> > on somewhere to stay.  They're not the most communicative of people - and
> > they prefer ICQ,which I rarely use, to mail - so I don't know exactly what
>
> not acomodation orientated, but

For what it's worth, it's sorted - they actually found their own place...

Thanks to those who responded :-)

> why not setup a jabber server with ICQ transports compiled up?  that way
> you can use nice open source software for communicating with them.
>
> i recently set one up with msn and yahoo transports, and it pretty muh
> works a treat.  i'm very impressed by it.

I keep thinking I have to have a play with Jabber.  I was very impressed by
the sound of it after hearing the talk at Fosdem...

As is, I'm using centericq.  It's a nice curses (works well over ssh) ICQ
client which has relatively recently gained MSN, Yahoo, AIM and IRC
(person-to-person, not channels) support.  I use Locust (www.locust.net) and
the AIM gateway onto that works very well with centericq.

http://konst.org.ua/eng/software/centericq/info.html

And on a completely different topic, if anyone wants it:
http://www.j-colo.net/~richardc/mozilla-source-1.0.tar.bz2
it's on a nice quick pipe on this side of the pond.  If it gets *too* busy,
I'll pull it down, but apart from that, enjoy!

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk