[Gllug] Secure Internet Access Linux Box

James Hollingshead james at hollo.org
Fri Jun 21 12:13:09 UTC 2002

> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 10:10:07AM +0100, Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:
> > I've been asked by the head of IT here to look into setting up a secure
> > Linux box for use in one of our staff rooms. So far we've used a fairly
> > well locked down Win98 box but there have still be problems of programs
> > getting installed and traces of less than desirable web searches being
> > remembered, etc.
> >
> > The brief is to install Linux, boot into a graphical environment with a
> > browser and not let the anonymous user do anything except surf the
> > internet (and to tidy up all traces of their activity from the local
> > machine on a regular basis).

Sorry - I lost the orriginal mail, so replying to this one
instead. There is a Kiosk-HOWTO on the linux documentation project
pages which I remember coming across a while ago. I've just had
another glance, and it looks a bit out of date, but there might be
something useful in it.

As for getting the GUI up without a password I can think of two
alternatives to a passwordless account.  A script in
/etc/rc.?/... that does 'su user -c startx' should do the trick and I
think is what that HOWTO uses. The other solution is kdm (the kde
replacement of xdm - maybe the gnome one is similar) which allows you
to configure certain users to log in without a password, or for it to
just automatically log in as a particular user.

James

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk