[Gllug] Debian package refusing to go

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sat Jun 15 08:43:00 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 12:17:58AM -0700, John Davies wrote:
> If you do
> apt-get remove --purge <package>
>
> then Debian will remove all the config files as well
> as the binaries. By default it doesn't.

Sorry John should of made myself a bit clearer this was with the --purge
option both with the _ option in dselect and the --purge option with
apt-get.  The error message was something along the lines of directory
not empty or something similar.  I wish I could remember what it was but
it was months ago.

> --- Jim Bailey <jim at freesolutions.net> wrote:
> > for some
> > reason Debain package management has problems
> > removing some old config
> > files the binaries seem to go but not the /etc.  I
> > go in there and just
> > #rm by hand.  this is probably a bad thing to do but
> > it has worked for me
> > in the past.
> >
> > Is this a bad way to treat Debian or not?

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk