[Gllug] [OT] Advice for cheap hotel somewhere around the Barbican?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 5 19:43:36 UTC 2002

On Tue 04 Jun, Richard Cohen wrote:

> I'm going to a concert next week at the Barbican, and I've been trying to
> help a Dutch couple who are coming over for it (e-fan club...).  Having
> persuaded them that my driving them to Dover and back for a Monday evening
> concert isn't going to happen (it's not like I actually *know* them, and
> besides, the train is cheaper than the petrol), they've now asked for advice
> on somewhere to stay.  They're not the most communicative of people - and
> they prefer ICQ,which I rarely use, to mail - so I don't know exactly what
> they're after, except that they're after central London (I suspect that near
> the Barbican would be good) and cheap.  I don't know what they consider
> cheap...

   I suggest you go to your local W H Smiths' travel department or similar
and look through the take-away travel booklets. Many of the reasonable
average hotels do block deals with the travel groups which allow the travel
groups to offer special "advance booking" rates near cost price for a
limited number of rooms (which they need to fill every day to break even).
The rates shown above the reception desk can be several times these advance
booking rates, yet "advance booking" may only mean making a phone call.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk