[Gllug] New to UK - ISP recommendations

John Southall john at sthll.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 22:57:49 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 2:07 PM
Subject: RE: [Gllug] New to UK - ISP recommendations

> I've just arrived in the UK and have absolutely no
> clue as to which of the numerous ISP's is good for
> a flat-rate dialup account (Linux friendly of course).
> Your suggestions would be welcome!  I'm looking for
> an 080... dialup with a fixed monthly fee, reliable
> service (duh) and clued-up support desk (if there's
> actually such a thing?).

ADSL is pretty cheap and readily available now (as low as 21 UKP a
month) and you can get monthly contracts so it might be worth
considering instead. Comes down a normal BT phoneline as well so you
don't need any special equipment except for a ADSL modem and a
analog/digital splitter for the phone line (over 100 UKP).

A normal fixed rate dial-up isn't going to be much cheaper and of course
it'll be a lot slower.

Unless you have some other reasons why this isn't an option (e.g. ADSL
not available in you area), I'd say go for this. e.g. www.plus.net (this
is what I'm on at home)

Paul.
-------------
Hi,
I was about to ask the same question, except for the bit about international
travel.
PlusNet looks excellent, the site is much easier on the eye than one for
Claranet.
However, what's this webmail thingy, I've only just got the hang of Outlook
E'.  Do I have to stay on line whilst I read the mail and news groups?  Can
I skim through opening all the items which look interesting and the go
off-line to digest them at my leisure?

Someone also said "what no binary newsgroups!", what does this mean and will
it affect a sad single user like me.

Thanks,

             John Southall          john at sthll.freeserve.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk