[Gllug] Shameless plug for Linux on a Dreamcast

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Fri Jun 28 14:47:13 UTC 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> On Friday 28 Jun 2002 2:45 pm, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> > Adrian McMenamin(adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk)@Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 05:15:35PM
> +0100:
>
> [PS/2 and Distributed Net stuff snipped]
>
> > > Bah, I've been running one of these things on my Dreamcast for over a
> > > month now.
> >
> > i understand that they make good DivX players aswell.
>
> You can certainly run mplayer on Linux on one (a DC) and get pretty good
> performance - certainly for a £50 device.
>
> Anybody interested in the linux side of things on a dreamcast:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxdc
>
> We are desperate for new developers - there is plenty of kernel hacking to be
> done - and we are a friendly lot.

I'd be interested, in theory.  I have a Dreamcast, and I'm already running
Linux on 3 platforms (x86, PowerPC, ARM) and Solaris on another (SPARC) at
home.  My problem with it (apart from the fact the SF sucks, so your site is
dead right now) is that while I have the £50 device already, I'd need a
keyboard (£15?), probably a mouse(£15?), and probably a network connector
(£lots???) before I'd be able to do anything particularly useful with it.

Oh, and I'm more a userspace guy than a kernel guy, but I can learn... :-)

> Adrian

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk