[:BLIP:][Gllug] MySQL Woes

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Wed Jun 12 10:06:03 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 10:30:59AM +0100, Jackson, Harry wrote:
> I am trying to implement a database and thought that with all the hype MySQL
> gets that I could do it on that. Much to my dismay I have just noticed that.
>
> 1. No method for referential Integrity.

<snip>

> 2. No Stored Procedures
>
> Has anybody else been flummoxed by this. Writing application code to enforce
> all the referential integrity of a database is a bit of a half arsed way of
> going about things. I notice that there is a Perl implementation, great,
> bolt on integrity.

Harry, if this sort of thing matters to you, take a look at
postgres. It's certainly got stored procedures, and a quick look at
the site shows that it also does referential integrity. And I like it
a lot, because it does other stuff that until recently MySQL didn't
support (transactions, anyone?)

It's Free, but I'm not sure whether it's GPLd.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"I used to be an airline pilot. I got fired because I kept locking the
keys in the plane. They caught me on an 80 foot stepladder with a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk