[Gllug] Problem with installing OpenOffice

Bernd Dittmann bernd_dittmann at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 26 02:32:45 UTC 2002

Hi,

installed OpenOffice a couple of days ago. But
unfortunately I cannot start it for the following
reason.

I installed as follow:

Logged in as root on the shell, not X. Once I had the
tarball in "/opt" I proceeded with "tar -zxvf ..",
changed into the directory "install" to execute
"./install --prefix=/opt".

But this is the point where the problem comes up. The
shell tells me the following:

"Installation starting, please be patient ...
glibc version 2.2.2

Initializing installation programme .......
XLib: connection to 0.0 refused by server
XLib: invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
cannot connect to X server

Installation complete
X Windows System does not support locale
"LC-CTYPE=en_GB at euro,..." the same for numeric, time,
monetary, and so on.

I wonder why the shell says something about connecting
to X. I was working on the console, not under X.

I nonetheless continued with the setup, i.e. "./setup"
and installed as a workstation. Looked fine. BUT: I
cannot start Openoffice from the taskbar or the shell
since everytime I got the complaint about the
MAGIC-KEY (see above).
What on earth is going on?

Do you know where the problem lies and how to solve
it?

Thanks very much.

Bernd

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com