[Gllug] cgi script for aliases file and mail auth against NT

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 16:04:54 UTC 2002

I am trying to set up a server for some windows heads and another for
slightly less experienced IT staff.

I have already a couple of mailservers there that have been up and happy
for a couple of years.

There are a couple of things that I would like to do but not really sure
what tools I should be using.

The first is an easier query.  I have searched (because I have not got
the skills and am short of time to learn) the web for a cgi script that
will be able to load and modify a simple file like the /etc/aliases file
or one of the configuration files that exim uses (two or three fields
separated by spaces).  I aim to put it behind an authenticated web site
on one of the local hosts.  Does anyone have one that they have written
or know of a URL for a script I could use.

The second is I have a school that I do some free consulting for that
has a NT box that does all logins.  The NT box currently has all users
on and runs junkbuster, pop3 and webmail for the students and staff.  I
intend to remove junkbuster and replace it with privoxy on another box.
I would like to move the mail to a Linux box.  I think at present it
would be far too disruptive to move authentication to Linux (a nightmare
of 1,000+ users not being able to login).

I was wondering how I could get the mail to authenticate (and I guess
create user accounts) against the NT box.

courier imap still requires that there be a local user account and the
others do not mention using pam for authentication, or at least not what
I have read :-)

I was thinking about using a samba script that would automatically
create accounts once authenticated against the NT box; this would work
if I had a login script to map a drive to the mail server.  It would
create the account before a mail check is made.  I could then use
courier with pam to authenticate.

Is anyone doing this (or a simpler implementation :-)  and what pitfalls
have you experienced?

Have fun.
Xander

--