[Gllug] Stupid shell question

Anthony Chapman anth at earthling.net
Wed Jun 19 15:18:04 UTC 2002

John Hearns wrote
> What I was thinking of is that we are deploying some new machines.
> There is a default set of software (RPMs) installed.
> We were just discussing at a meeting what if there was software missing
> which people normally use, and expect to be there on the new machines

If you have old machines that definitely have all the software needed then you could make a file containing a listing of every directory on PATH (or every file with the executable bit). From there you could see whats missing from the new machines. If there are enough programs missing that thinking about whether they're needed doesn't seem worth it then you could make a new directory, add it to the end of the path, and fill it with files whose names are generated from that list, which return an error and write their name to a log file (or even ask the user if they think it should be installed before writing to the log).
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk