[Gllug] The Palladium Scheme

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Wed Jun 26 16:28:02 UTC 2002

Alain Williams wrote:

|>>I remember the previous MS security chip. They managed to put one in a
|>>Mattel Aquarius computer :-)
|>>

|>I have just read the original article on News Week as well as the
|>Register article, I hope I am wrong and the spin the main stream tech
|>media will not be so uncritical as the News Week article.  If The
|>Register is right however about this then Linux and the GPL could be in
|>serious trouble.  This is one to watch and maybe get involved in, it
|>makes the DMCA and EUCD look like a side show.

<snip>

| This makes communication between M$ & non-M$ desktops difficult.
|
| * ISV (Indenpendent Software Vendors) will have to have their s/ware approved
|   by M$ before a M$ system will run it (how much will that cost ?).
|   Where does that leave in house development ?
|
| Well, you say, it is easy to break the encryption/... that this relies on.
| True: but M$ then hits hard with the DMCA on anyone that does or has s/ware
| that does.

Or the EUCD even?  This was brought up by Alan Cox when he spoke on the EUCD
about a month or two ago.  Basically a software company X creates a word
processer or some other app. that protects the documents it produces with really
lame encryption.  It is illegal to attempt to break this encryption and the
document format is closed, effectively making it possible to open the document
(lawfully) in the application written by company X.

Correct me if I am wrong :-)

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk