[Gllug] Postfix/QMail troubles

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat Jun 22 14:46:21 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 12:27:52PM +0100, Axel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm stuck and as I don't know fsck all about email (apart from sending it).
>
> Our box runs Postfix and QMail

Why?  Both do the same job, only one is needed.

> There seems to be something wrong with the aliases or summin as the
> following happens:
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; sulley.adamandeve.it
> Arrival-Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:47:30 +0100 (BST)
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; mxged at monnsta.net
> Action: failed
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; unknown user: "mxged at monnsta.net"

It hasn't recogised mxged so it didn't find a matching alias or local
user.  Possibly the alias file has been updated without newaliases being
run.

> Checking Postfix tells me this:
>
> sulley:/# postfix check
> postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /var/spool/postfix

I would guess that /var/spool/postfix is owned by the postfix user, as
it should be.  So this error message could indicate that something is
wrong in the postfix config.

> postfix/postfix-script: warning: /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf and
> /etc/resolv.conf differ

Some postfix processes run chrooted and need copies of global files in
/var/spool/postfix.  When setting up its directory structure, postfix
grabs the current resolv.conf but doesn't try and synchonize after that
- though the various package maintainers do try to improve on this.
Just copy /etc/resolv.conf over /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf.

> Matthew was doing some work email-wise yesterday and probably messed
> something up badly. Yes, I would try to drag him back in front of a
> terminal but he disapeared into the weekend =/

If you know nothing about Postfix then I'm not sure you should be trying
to fix whatever it is he did without at least finding out what he did.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.