[Gllug] MySQL Woes

Leslie Till les_till at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 17:00:31 UTC 2002

"Jackson, Harry" wrote:

> I am trying to implement a database and thought that with all the hype
> MySQL gets that I could do it on that. Much to my dismay I have just
> noticed that.
>
> 1. No method for referential Integrity.
>
> Fair enough no referential integrity I'll use stored procedures to
> enforce some kind of logic. No wait
>
> 2. No Stored Procedures
>
> Has anybody else been flummoxed by this. Writing application code to
> enforce all the referential integrity of a database is a bit of a half
> arsed way of going about things. I notice that there is a Perl
> implementation, great, bolt on integrity.
>
> Harry
>
> (Bruce! If you say anything like, I told you so, or, You should have
> listened!!!, You will find out what the infamous "Bung Ring Expander"
> is used for.)
>

> *
>
> COLT Telecommunications
> Registered in England No. 2452736
> Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
> Tel. +44 20 7390 3900
>
> This message is subject to and does not create or vary any contractual
>
> relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
> affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
> and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
> contents of this message. Any view or opinions expressed are those of
> the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
> contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
>
> received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Finding that I didn't understand the term 'referential integrity' I did
a google search and found that
<http://techdocs.postgresql.org/college/002_referentialintegrity/> gives
a very nice demo of what it means. It is what I imagined, they use a
number as an id for each record. Postgresql, if asked nicely, will add a
unique number to a column in the table each time a new record is entered
- I know this cos I've used it. Unfortunately I lost all my data and the
Perl/Tk scripts that controlled record entries, using the auto number
facilty, when I had a backup b£$$sup.
Les