[Gllug] Acceptable HTML

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Jun 14 15:46:28 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 08:07:46AM -0700, Janet Reid wrote:

> --- tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >
> > >MS have done something very weird to their tables
> > which I'm not too
> > >impressed with. Grief! How hard can it be to
> > generate acceptable HTML
> > >from a word processor?
> >
> > Not hard at all. Trivial, in fact. But in MS's
> > defence, tables seems
> > to work fine for me (saving from Office2K, reading
> > in Mozilla).
> It depends a lot on
> how the table was constructed,
> whether it has spanning cells,

Yes

> whether it was edited/modified structurally

If by "structurally" you mean "randomly, depending on the prevailing
wind" then "yes" ;)

> in word before exporting to html.
> I have a win box at work with DreamWeaver - it has a
> clean up function for Word HTML, and I still generally
> recreate tables to be sure they are not broken.

If you want the low down: this is a collabrative document, with at
least 4 different parties contributing corrections and amendments in a
combination of inline includes and comments (no, I don't know if those
are the right terms, but I've been buried in an interesting
other-world where J2EE, XML amd interoperable standards rule. Mozilla
is the browser used by the majority of people viewing this data)

The tables have had all their editting data stashed in the bastard MS
sodomised-HTML, not as comments but as content. In addition, all the
tables had been fiddled with my all the different parties.

Now, it may be a Friday afternoon, but if MS had held a competition to
decide the "best possible way of pissing off anyone who has to use a
text editor to manipulate the HTML" then this format would be near the
top. Even the "MS Office 2000 HTML Cleaner 2.0" chunders violently.

Cretinous Useless Negligable Tossers indeed, as one of the two inkies
of the time used to say. Now, back to the standards :))

Cheers,

Simon

--
I plead contemporary insanity.