[Gllug] Postfix/QMail troubles

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sun Jun 23 14:58:42 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 04:00:21PM +0100, Axel Segebrecht wrote:

> >Why?  Both do the same job, only one is needed.
>
> it was actually postfix not qmail...
>
> >It hasn't recogised mxged so it didn't find a matching alias or local
> >user. Possibly the alias file has been updated without newaliases being
> >run.

I don't know your set up but if you are running multiple domains you
need to be looking in /etc/postfix/virtual, syslog should tell you if
the db is older than the virtual text file.

> looks like it is an ldap problem (according to rik anyway -> see my reply
> to Ian).
>
> >I would guess that /var/spool/postfix is owned by the postfix user, as
> >it should be. So this error message could indicate that something is
> >wrong in the postfix config.
>
> it's owned by postfix alright.
>
> >Some postfix processes run chrooted and need copies of global files in
> >/var/spool/postfix.  When setting up its directory structure, postfix
> >grabs the current resolv.conf but doesn't try and synchonize after that
> >- though the various package maintainers do try to improve on this.
> >Just copy /etc/resolv.conf over /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf.
>
> they are both the same now :)
>
> >If you know nothing about Postfix then I'm not sure you should be trying
> >to fix whatever it is he did without at least finding out what he did.
>
> yep - that's what i'm trying to do and then fixing it (taking the typical
> learning-by-doing aproach again).

postconf -n will give you details of your main.cf file that holds most
of the postfix config files.  Check that there are not rollback copies
of the config files you want.  Try those out first before you try your
own.  http://www.postfix.org has good documentation some in German and a
good mail archive.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk