[Gllug] rpms is there an easier way?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Jun 17 12:49:08 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 01:01:53PM +0100, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:50:32PM +0100, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> > If you sign up for the Red Hat Network (one box free per sign up) you
> > can get round these problems.
>
> I can see the attraction for Red Hat of this closed commercial solution,
> but it's not at all satisfactory from my point of view.  You can't pick
> your own repositories or blend in your own local archives of tailored
> versions of packages and the back-end is closed source.

One big problem is if you upgrade something by hand (ftp=>compile=>install),
then when RedHat/whoever comes out with the upgraded package 6 months later
there are problems doing the upgrade, so you have to maintain it by hand &
hey presto you have an albatross.

OK: I could construct an RPM, but I can't be bothered, it is quite a lot of
work (well, more than 'make install').

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>