[Gllug] On Linux, fast, it is

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jun 12 11:14:54 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 12:51, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 June 2002 16:30, you wrote:
> > Just found this link:
> >
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6011
> >

> > Sorry to be so lame as to repost links,
> > but isn't it just great that Linux is helping Master Yoda
> > to kick ass?
> >
> <cue smugness level 10>
> Pah, linux on the renderfarm? Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
> Linux on the workstation is where it's at.
> <end smugness>
My guess is that AMD Sledgehammer could be big here.

The Register has had articles on AMD getting graphics card manufacturers
interested.
Couple a high end graphics card with a four-way Sledgehammer system and
you would have a pretty spiffing box for special effects work.

I wonder if any of the software companies are working on making use
of the vector register banks on these processors.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk