[Gllug] RBL listed hosts

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 10:22:03 UTC 2002

I have just been tightening up spam policies and switching a number of
mailservers from warn mode to reject on rbl has a very dramtic effect.

i.e. I lose a lot of mail from companies such as BT and NTL.

This is not from their dial-up pool, but from the main corporate servers.

Aside from these niggling little concerns (I have always thought BT
provides a realy poor service) it grabs a huge amount of spam.

I have a couple of questions:

Do BT know?  Or are they as incompetent as I expect them to be.

I really would like to reject rather than filter as 99% of the users are
not paid enough to want to set up filters.  (When I spoke to them about
emailing 10-15Mb M$ Word documents I received the response, "I am paid
ten grand a year, I am not paid enough to do anything else!".  That was
pretty much the end of the conversation as they were concerned.

Do the large companies with RBL listed hosts ever get round to fixing
them?  This is something that I have not been aware of; however I am
sure with a few more servers on reject rather than warn they might be
convinced :-)

In addition I have to have the multihop RBL in warn otherwise I lose
gllug posts :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk