[Gllug] automake/autoconf

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 24 21:27:03 UTC 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Stig Brautaset mused:
> I have been trying to use automake/autoconf for my program. I don't want
> to put data files/ config files in hardcoded paths. I thought it would
> be natural to have a macro that defined the standard data directory for
> the install so I could use this.

Yes, and it's called, um, `datadir' ;}. It's ${prefix}/share by default,
but site-config files may change it: your configure.in should not, and
while it may consult it, it should (as with all these path variables)
put off expansion as long as possible, so that `make install
datadir=...' works.

Have a look at the automake docs and the GNU Coding Standards: together,
they define all this stuff.

>                                  (I.e., the data directory that automake
> puts pkgdata_DATA stuff in, but I cannot find it.)

Node `Data' in the automake manual is quite clear, I think, as long as
you view it in a suitably distorted and lateral fashion :)

--
`What happened?'
                 `Nick shipped buggy code!'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk