[Gllug] perl eval()

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 11:22:03 UTC 2002

Hi all,

A bit OT but this seems like the best place to ask.

I have been experimenting with the perl DBI the last couple of days and have come upon a bit of a
problem.  I need to trap the errors returned when doing things like connecting to the database as I
don't want the script to die if there was an error.  The only way to do it that I have found so far
however is to wrap the piece of code that might fail in eval()
(http://search.cpan.org/doc/JWIED/Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2219/mysql/lib/DBD/mysql.pm).  In Perl in a
Nutshell it says about eval():

"Evaluates the expression or code in its argument at runtime as a separate Perl program..."

Does this mean that another interpreter is fired up to run the code in the eval?  This is a bit
worrying as the resources on the box are pretty minimal.  Is there a better way of trapping the
errors returned from the DBI that I am unaware of?

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk