[Gllug] route command in rc.local

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 23 23:31:29 UTC 2002

On Sunday 23 Jun 2002 11:36 pm, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 10:05:13PM +0100, Adrian wrote:
> > I am putting a properly configured (AFAICS) route command in rc.local:
> >
> > route -v add default gw 192.168.63.64 dev eth0
> >
> > to allow my wireless card packets to be properly routed, but it never
> > seems to be executed on booting. I have to type it in by hand every time.
> >

> > There is nothing in /var/log/messages to indicate either failure or
> > success.
>
> While since I used RH.  Have you checked the initscripts to see at what
> stage rc.local is run?  If it is run before networking is started then
> it would fail.

It is run after all the other init scripts: unless RH have a bug, which I
doubt. From experience, on a desktop, I know networking is/should be up by
then (I've reset troubelsome NICs in rc.local before). This machine is a
laptop, and PCMCIA can be slower, I'll have a poke around tomorrow - I'm off
to bed now.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk