[Gllug] windows and linux client server

Martin Stevens budgester at budgester.com
Mon Jun 24 22:46:56 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 04:05:50PM +0100, avner zrihen wrote:
> Hi all
> I am trying to start a client server project to incorporate linux ( the
> server )  and windows ( the clients) via tcp/ip
> I was wondering if any body knows if it is possible to create a program in
> c++ on linux that would listen on certain ports for the windows clients and
> they would communicate between themselves. the client software will be
> written in Visual Basic or Visual C++
>
> My query is basically if linux and windows can communicate together with
> tcp/ip without any problem
>
> thanks to any one that has any advice
>
> Avner

Yes, this is possible,

Now don't hold me to this but I know the hotmail services used to
run on BSD, I think they still do.

A very simple example of this is a web browser on windows going to
an webserver on whatever platform.

I'm currently messing around with a python project that
has a server on a linux box, with the client able to
run on both windows and linux boxen, the project is
for managing a 10mm warmaster campaign between a bunch
of friends who like to indulge in other nerdy hobbies
form time to time.

Good luck

Budge

> --