[Gllug] Sendmail, Firewalls, SSL...

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 17:59:05 UTC 2002

 Oh gosh, it seems that there is no way to avoid having
 to have a good go at the docs. My expertise in mail servers,
 wait a second that's a lie, I'm no expert in anything.

 I can make postfix work, hardly, and I'm not happy with
 trying to learn the oldy sendmail, when I am not comfortable
 with postfix.

 I might try to replace sendmail with postfix, but that
 will be tricky.

      Thanks for the help.

On 28 Jun 2002, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> > > What's the IMAP server? You can do this, but how will depend partly on
> > > the IMAP server.
> >
> >  It's the standard rh one, the UW Imap.
>
> Can't you just use procmail as the local delivery agent then? Just make
> sure the normal pop3 guys don't have .procmailrc files.
>
> > > The way I'd do it would be to have a class defined in your sendmail.cf
> > > that maps to a hash map, and then populate that with a list of the
> > > domains you want procmail processing for. You can then have sendmail
> > > select procmail as the local delivery agent for those addresses. It;s
> > > then procmail's job to perform final delivery. This may involve procmail
> > > invoking yet another helper program to perform final delivery, if the
> > > IMAP server uses a mailstore format that procmail doesn't understand
> > > (i.e. cyrus).
> >

> > Could you provide an example?
>
> Ok, you can define your procmail domains in a flat file like so:-
>
> F{Procmail_domains}/etc/mail/procmail_domains
>
> which is probably better than a hash map, thinking about it, as you're
> not storing key/value pairs.
>
> You'd then have a normal local mailer definition, and a procmail mailer
> defintion. You then need to add logic to ruleset 0 to select the
> procmail mailer if the domain part of the address is in the
> Procmail_domains class. I've got no idea what RedHat supply as a
> sendmail.cf these days, and if you're going to do this you should be
> generating your own cf file from scratch. First make sure it works, then
> add your own custom rules. You do this by adding:-
>
> LOCAL_RULE_0
>
> to your mc file, and then adding rules directly after that, which get
> incorporated into the sendmail.cf that gets built. You'd need to test
> the domain part against $={Procmail_domains} and select your mailer
> based on that.
>
> > > It's telling you the the common name presented in the IMAPS server's
> > > certificate did not match the DNS name of the machine. You'll probably
> > > need to regenerate the SSL cert to fix this. If it's a commercialy
> > > signed cert, this may cost....
> >

> >   I guessed that one myself, I suppose I will have to find out how to
> >  create those certificate.
> >
> >  They are personal sites, at least the ones I want ssl for.
> >
> >  I suppose I should have made myself clear, I'm being lazy and asking
> >  for the actual "implementation", like
> >
> >  type "ssl -c new.certificate"       # just an example.
>
> Ah.
>
> You have two options - eith use self-signed certs, or create a CA
> yourself, and use that to sign all your certs. The latter is more work,
> but you can import the CA public key into your browsers, and then you
> never have to wade through the annoying security dialog boxes about
> self-signed certs in future.
>
> Go to www.modssl.org, and in the Documentation/FAQ area you'll find
> detailed instructions on creating your own keys, certificae requests,
> CA's, and suchlike.
>
> Mike.

   . .                              Formi
   / \ GZ           MDK 8.2 ThinkPad 560E
  // \\/
 /( _ )     Linux Registered User #235743
  ^   ^

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk