[Gllug] Opening MacBinary files in Linux

jim jim at madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 6 16:42:15 UTC 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, David Damerell wrote:

> On Thursday, 6 Jun 2002, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >Some Mac applications store information in the resource fork.
>
> Not Word specifically, but no non-braindead Mac application stores
> data in the resource fork - AIR Apple deprecate it quite heavily.

You don't appear to be in disagreement: there are plenty of braindead Mac
applications about. (Resource fork war story alert: a Mac multimedia app I
was working on porting some time ago stored data in its resource forks;
the Arc team (i.e. me) reverse-engineered the resource format and wrote a
little library to extract stuff from it. The PC team complained that it
was too hard and got the entire file format changed round, which we then
had to support. However if David is correct, which is admittedly quite a
habit of his, they were in the right).

> Surprisingly, Microsoft appear to have written non-braindead software
> - at least in this respect.

I wouldn't expect an app birthed in a PC environment to store data in the
resource fork, it strikes me as more a Mac-native habit.

jim
--
http://madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk/people/jim/
"... I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk