[Gllug] New to UK - ISP recommendations

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu Jun 20 16:54:44 UTC 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 04:03:26PM +0100, Richard Cohen wrote:
>
> > The follow-up, of course, is a client which goes out, downloads the settings
> > from linnuxispsettings.org, asks for your l/p and logs you in - working
> > first time, every time.
>
> Bit of XML at some standard place that the client can go & grab, eg
> 	www.TheISPName.net.uk/ConnectParms.xml
> This is the chance that you have always wanted: author an RFC.

I wouldn't do it as an RFC...  To be honest, at least until it was well
established, I couldn't be bothered :-)

And I'm cynical enough to believe that it will never be at www.isp.net -
it'll always be at www.linuxispsettings.org :-(

> Interested ?

In doing it?  Again, to be honest, I can't really be bothered.  I'm not
doing that kind of thing at the moment, and I wouldn't really want to
start/manage such a thing.  I'd be happy to help out - and the small local
client is my kind of thing - I'd do it in Python, so it shouldn't even be
hard to build the Windows half which goes and gets the XML file over your
existing Windows DUN connection.

Oh, and I could host it, although writing the backend wouldn't be my cup of
Ribena :-)

You interested?

Cheers
Richard