[Gllug] automake/autoconf

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Wed Jun 26 13:44:22 UTC 2002

* Stig Brautaset <stigbrau at start.no> spake thus:
>> * Nix <nix at esperi.demon.co.uk> spake thus:
>>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Stig Brautaset mused:
>>>
>>> Yes, and it's called, um, `datadir' ;}. It's ${prefix}/share by
>>> default, but site-config files may change it: your configure.in
>>> should not, and while it may consult it, it should (as with all
>>> these path variables) put off expansion as long as possible, so that
>>> `make install datadir=...' works.
>>
>> ACK, I evidently failed to communicate my problem.
>
> This is what I want:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/Miscellaneous/ac_define_dir.html

OK, I've now found a solution to this problem.

I've managed to beat the macro listed in the link above into submission.
A very kind person on IRC (in #offtopic on irc.openprojects.net) gave me
a hand in figuring out this problem. Glad I was to get help too, Alas!
I spent the whole day Tuesday researching how to achieve its purpose.
Only five minutes before I was kicked out from the library my friend in
need came to the rescue, he had found a solution to the problem!

Unfortunately, due to its lateness, I did not have time to communicate
my success to this list. Thus some of you may have wasted your time
trying to help a poor sod, who is not actually in need anymore (in this
field at least ;) Thank you anyway.

Oh, and the solution, you ask? It seems the 'optional' third argument of
that macro is not optional after all; it *requires* a comment. Don't you
just love faulty documentation.

Stig,

A bit dramatic of late, owing to his n-th feeble attempt at reading
Paradise Lost.

Evil be thou, Milton,
Thy fair words seducing
This simple mind; egging,