[Gllug] Killing capitalised spam from the list

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 24 21:37:58 UTC 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Adrian McMenamin uttered the following:
> On Monday 24 Jun 2002 6:31 pm, FRANK UBU wrote:
>>     DELOTTO NETHERLANDS SWEEPSTAKES LOTTERY,
>>                   BURDENSTRAAT 21B,
>
> And other such spam rubbish... is it possible to have a /. like lameness
> filter that blasts posts with too many caps?

SpamAssassin is tagging posts to the list[1], using substantially more
complex rules than `too many caps' (although that's one of them).

(`lameness filter'? Is the term `spamfilter' so poorly known?)

Besides, give it its due: that was at least an *original* 4-1-9
scam. I've never seen one that claims to originate from the Netherlands
before, although given the contact points I'd say the probability is
small that it *actually* originates from there.

I did like the claim that `31ST JUNE 2001' is classed as an `end of year
bonanza'! Why the year-long notification delay, pray? ;} The claim that
Global Crossing would be involved in something like this is laughable,
but even more laughable is the email address: I mean, someone working
for a telco, even a defunct one, would be able to afford an email
address outside of yahoo!

> Sorry to make more work for someone.

http://spamassassin.sourceforge.net/ is on the job, as is Razor and DCC
(both of which SpamAssassin can use as extra indicators of posts'
`spamminess').

[1] although oddly enough, that post didn't get tagged: I wonder if our
    holy hamster-mailadmin has any idea why it got missed?
    There have been posts on the spamassassin-talk mailing list about
    spamd missing posts at times: I haven't seen this behaviour, but
    I don't load my spamd much at all (personal mail only, a few an
    hour).

--
`What happened?'
                 `Nick shipped buggy code!'