[Gllug] windows and linux client server

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Jun 24 15:05:06 UTC 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, avner zrihen wrote:

> Hi all
> I am trying to start a client server project to incorporate linux ( the
> server )  and windows ( the clients) via tcp/ip
> I was wondering if any body knows if it is possible to create a program in
> c++ on linux that would listen on certain ports for the windows clients and
> they would communicate between themselves. the client software will be
> written in Visual Basic or Visual C++
>
> My query is basically if linux and windows can communicate together with
> tcp/ip without any problem

Yes, absolutely.

I've never done this, but the whole point of TCP/IP as a standard is that
anything which supports it will be able to communicate with anything else
which supports it.

I don't know much about Visual C++ or VB (ugh!), but you should be able to
use whatever the standard networking routines are, and have it Just Work
[TM].

> thanks to any one that has any advice
>
> Avner

Cheers