[Gllug] [OT] Sun Network Install server

Mark Williams mark at aziraphale.homeip.net
Mon Mar 11 02:03:00 UTC 2002

> > 1) What *IS* a Jumpstart server and how does it work?
>
> Look at these howtos:
>
> boot net
> (need rarp, dhcpd, tftp, nfs on the Linux box and the Solaris
> install media I'd guess).  I've done it with the Javastation and
> debian from an x86 machine, but no reason if you can get the
> jumstart scripts to run for config that you can't do it from any
> *nix box.
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/JavaStation-HOWTO/
> http://www.sun.com/blueprints/browsesubject.html

Do you happen to remember (or does anyone else know) which version of
the Debian images worked with the JavaStation?  I tried the woody
SPARC images that were current about a month ago.  The `tftpboot.img'
image (kernel + install filesystem) got as far as blanking the
screen---presumably its kernel does not have support for the Krups
framebuffer.  The ready-made 2.4.2 NFS-root kernel hyperlinked from
the HOWTO with the contents of the `root.tar.gz' install filesystem
started the installer but refused to NFS mount `/target' (where the
packages get installed) with the error message `invalid argument' for
all combinations of mount options and name resolution I
tried---presumably its mount command (busybox?) does not properly
support NFS or is incompatible with the kernel version or something.

I did manage to do a Debian install by splicing a copy of the
ready-made jsroot filesystem hyperlinked from the HOWTO with a copy of
the SPARC debootstap executables and friends, but would prefer to be
able to do a proper repeatable install to an NFS target (just from a
disaster recovery POV) so would be grateful if anyone can suggest
which versions would Just Work (even if old releases).

--
Mark

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk