[Gllug] Proxy/ Web Filter...

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Sun Mar 10 14:51:22 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 09:57, Ian Baillie wrote:
> I need to set up a machine to act as a proxy server/ firewall and filter
> inappropriate sites.
>
> Could someone please guide me to the appropriate how-to's and other sources
> of information.

For firewalling, http://netfilter.samba.org/ has the best information.
That's mostly based on 2.4 and iptables - which is considerably better
than the older ipchains, and also far easier to get a reasonable
firewall out of without too much work.

For proxying and filtering at the URL level, I suggest squid.

> Also, with regard to filtering, could certain users be given passwords to
> access all pages ignoring filters?  Are there any filtering agencies which
> supply readily prepared filters which you can subscribe to (and add to)?
> Is it possible to disallow access to only part of a site, e.g. can access
> Yahoo, but not Yahoo Mail?

Off the top of my head, without examining things too closely, the
answers are:

Yes - different authenticated users can be filtered differently.
Yes - there are, although I can't remember any. Some are free, if memory
serves.
Yes - You can configure squid to filter based on the entire URL, and
possibly even the type of object you get. You can filter on a regular
expression match against a URL, too. It's all quite clever, really.

It's all covered well on http://www.squid-cache.org/

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk