[Gllug] [OT] Sun Network Install server

Richard Cottrill rcottril at tibco.com
Thu Mar 7 13:07:41 UTC 2002

This is both-sides-of-the-fence type problem; but as it heavily involves
Solaris I've whacked an OT in the subject to keep the purists happy.

I'd like to replicate a Solaris network install server on Linux. This is
exactly the sort of annoying problem that really pisses me off. Sun sell
cheap little blade servers; but to use them you'll really need a real server
that costs real money... Bah humbug.

I'd like to figure out what services are required. I've seen references to
people doing this on platforms as 'exotic' as HP-UX and Mac OSX. I'm just
not sure how. I figure it's probably just a glorified NFS service and
something else. It's the 'something else' I'm hoping somebody here can
enlighten me on.

I also don't like the idea of running some service that I have no idea
about.

Grrrr... Sun... Grrr.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk