[Gllug] Return-Path

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Mar 12 10:37:11 UTC 2002

On 12/03/02, 08:00:24, Jonathan Dye
<jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com> wrote regarding [Gllug]

> Hi,

> I use mutt and postfix at home to send email.  I have problems
susbscribing
> to some mailing lists because and I think I've tracked the problem down
> the fact that in my email header I get the line:

And other mail systems will be rejecting your mail because the envelope
(the source and destination information that MTAs wrap round a message in
transit) is incorrect.

The way to correct this in Postfix is to do a canonical rewrite.  You
want to get Postfix to rewrite both the envelope and message headers to
match what you have in your From: header.

To do this, create a file called (e.g.) /etc/postfix/rewrite.  Add to it
a line like

jon at hal.chagny  jon at jons.official.address

Then add this line to main.cf

sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/rewrite

and run

postmap /etc/postfix/rewrite;postfix reload

That should do it.  Have a look at the canonical manpage and the
sample-canonical.cf file in the Postfix documentation.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk