[Gllug] Workshop at the next GLLUG meeting.

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Mon Mar 18 11:25:36 UTC 2002

What is the most common things people ask questions about (not including X
and install problems). I personally think that mail and its retrieval from
an ISP would be a good topic if taken from a newbie perspective. Most people
new to Linux want on the internet and getting their mail as soon as feasibly
possible. This spawns several topics in itself that could be taught in any
number of ways. These topics could be broke up into more than one lecture
ie.

Awareness discussions.
Hardware issues.
Options for internet connectivity
Internet connection and its implications (Security etc).

Hands On
Installation
Set-up
Mail management basics
Tightening Linux basics
Xinetd
init.d and the various runlevels (I wish someone had shown me this when I
started as I think it is a key component to understanding how this animal
works.)

Who is the audience the workshops will be aimed at. If the only people who
are attending are 10 Year sys admins then the above is probably no use. Are
there enough baby newbies on the list interested or have the majority of us
stopped sucking electronic eggs thrown from the list.

<Pie in the Sky, dreaming again>
Has anyone thrown in the idea of setting up a progressional training regime
(sounds very militant). It would be nice if there was a standard set of
workshops or talks that could be done when demand is large enough and they
would also evolve over time allowing anyone to take them as long as any
notes or issues where recorded. We could have various courses consisting of
several lectures aimed at certain parts of Linux. For instance.

Beginners Pack
Hardware I
Distributions I
Set-up I
Shell I
Internet I
Security I

Novice
Network I
Runlevels I
X windows I
Internet II
Shell II
Security II

User
Network II
Runlevels II
X windows II
Shell III
Security III

You get my gist.

There are is a multitude of books out there that you could base the courses
on They do not need to be terribly fancy but if we had a classroom
environment I think this would be a very efficient use of that resource.
Attendance to what could be a three hour course with all notes supplied
electronically would probably be quite good as well when you consider that
you would spend £300 at a proper training facility and in some cases end up
with crap notes unusable outside of the course.
</Pie in the Sky, dreaming again>

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk