[Gllug] security checking

Murray murray at minty.org
Sun Mar 31 22:56:32 UTC 2002

so I've finally figured out how to home network my Windows laptop to my
Linux desktop, with the Linux box being the gateway/server :) And a lot
easier than I was expecting too.

I've got IPChains firewall filtering installed as best I can understand it,
suitably restrictive entries in hosts.[deny|allow] and turned off all those
things in inet.conf I don't need right now like sendmail and lpd.

What I'm wondering then - is there some reasonably legit tester that will
probe my system for holes/known exploits? Preferably one that my ISP isn't
going to freak out at me using?

murray.

ps. thanks to DavidI & JohnD for my previous BT Open Wound PAP/CHAP
question. kppp was saying it was using PAP, but once I deleted the entry and
re-created it, again with PAP, it appeared to work. Who knows, probably
idiot error on my part. Thanks anyway :)

pps. I found this quite a helpful checklist when trying to lockdown my box
     http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/usc20_full.html
     not bulletproof, but I assume a good start.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk