[Gllug] Triple booting Win2k, Debian, RedHat

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 1 16:49:26 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 14:39, Paul Brazier wrote:
> I'm planning to set up my home machine as a triple boot with Win2k,
> Debian and RedHat (and lilo as the bootloader).
>
> I see conflicting reports as to whether I can/should put lilo in the MBR
> or not, though I think as long as I install Win2k first and have boot
> floppies ready it should be OK.
>
> Can I have Debian and RedHat sharing partitions?
> Specifically /boot, /home?

/home and /boot should be fine to share, although you might find it
interesting sharing /boot at times. I'd humbly suggest not sharing /boot
if at all possible, since that's package manager territory.

> Any others that can be shared? swap partition?

Swap partitions are also fine to share, yes.

> I guess that the installion routines will create separate /home
> directories but I can just delete them and mount the shared partition.
> Security/name clashes isn't an issue as it's just a home machine.

The RH installation allows you to select existing filesystems to use for
/home and others - it will ask you whether you want them formatted later
in the install, so keep watch for that. RH will add the bits it wants
there - possibly nothing at all anymore. It really wants to reformat
/boot, though.

Bear in mind you'll need to setup /etc/lilo.conf or whatever rather
carefully.

> Am I going totally in the wrong direction here or does this sound
> feasible?

The thing I don't understand is why you'd want to dual boot between
Debian and RedHat... They're essentially the same thing with a different
name (and format) for the package mangler.

Yes, I'm risking a flame war here, and Debian folks will be shocked, and
rant about APT, and RedHat folks will rant on about something else
whilst equally shocked, but under the covers I've yet to find a
fundamental difference in functionality.

Dave.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk