[Gllug] Cheap DSL Routers

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 14:45:10 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 12:59:47PM -0000, Axel Segebrecht wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a cheap DSL router (with ethernet port).
> If you can recommend any I'd be grateful :)
>
> MTIA,
> Axel
>
> ---
> http://axel.gardeneden.net/

No positive recomendations yet as I still looking, but I can say
a lot of bad things about the Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro (now on sale
for only 138 from DSL Source).

I needed a router that can route a subnet, and have the same IP
address on both the DSL and ethernet router (like the Efficent
SpeedStream 5681 that BT uses).

Alcatel's marketing say that the SpeedTouch Pro should work but it
just locks up hard when you set the IP addresses. Their technical
support people say it does not. In the end we had to use PPTP from
another machine on the same ethernet segment to trigger the PPP link
over ATM and then pass the traffic over that.

The way you set it's IP address is to send it a "magic ping" to it's
MAC address (all of these routers have the same MAC address at boot)
and it configures itself based on that. Only seems to work when using
a Windows machine though.

The Alcatel Pro may be OK if you are willing to change your network
to the way it does things, but I can't recomend it.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk