[Gllug] USB to Ethernet - for ADSL

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 1 12:36:47 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 17:36, Richard Cohen wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2002, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if such a product exists,
> > but does anyone know of a USB to Ethernet
> > convertor box which will work with
> > ADSL modems, specifically a Fujitsu model?
> >
> > Someone I work with is searchign for one.
>
> http://www.seg.co.uk/draytek/products/vigor2200usb.html

They're not bad, but I've seen packet leakage through their NAT, which
somewhat distresses me. Essentially, this means that your private IP
address space can be mapped quite easily, just by making connections
through it. If you're not allowing anything in, they may be safe from
that.

In addition, allowing connections in only works consistently via
specifying a specific list of ports - allowing a range through appears
to prevent /some/ clients from connecting.

Personally, I'm happy sticking with a 2.4 Linux box with the "open
source" (Benoit) drivers, which seem remarkably stable these days, and
relying on iptables for my firewall and NAT needs. This solution *is*
more expensive than the Draytek box, though.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk