[Gllug] Wireless networking

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Mon Mar 25 16:51:13 UTC 2002

    John> Probably a stupid question, but - What is the advantage of a
    John> base station compared to just using the PCMCIA cards?  -- John

One advantage is that a base station can be put into 'managed' rather
than 'ad-hoc' mode.  The base station can then act as a bridge to your
wired network, and would usually provide more security than the PCMCIA
card.

Another advantage is that your base station won't be using Linux, and
thus won't have flaky drivers.  I'm sure someone will jump to defend
them, but I've seen _weird_ errors in the current Linux wireless tools.

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
As to luck, there's the old miners' proverb: Gold is where you find it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk