[Gllug] csh shell scripting woes

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 10:46:12 UTC 2002

On Thursday 14 March 2002 00:49, you wrote:

> 	rename [OPT] src [...] dst
>
> where OPT could be any of "-f" or "-i". The problem with this is that
> if you invoke a csh-script with "-f" as one of the arguments, it
> chokes and exits with this error message:

Erm, I may be misunderstanding ypu but passing stuff into csh should
not be a problem. As an utterly trivial example:

#!/bin/csh -f

echo $1
echo $2

exit 0

can be run as ./scriptname -f somestuff
outputting:

-f
somestuff

Where is the problem? Once you have your -f inside the script as an
argument you can interpret it how you want. Like I said I may be
completely missing the point here.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk