[Gllug] X Terminals and Sound

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 3 18:21:49 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Darran D. Rimron-Molloy said:

>> Is it possible to get the Xterminal(SGI Indy) to use it's own
>> sound card? Rather than the servers ?
>
> ESD

I use ESD myself, but I won't say it's nice. You can't change the volume
through it, you must rebuild everything that uses the sound card to use
it (well, esddsp *can* kludge you around it sometimes, but my God it's
a kludge) and it has major latency problems.

ALSA is where the future is, I guess.

>> Any help or pointers to docs would be appreciated.
>
> There is also a Java version of ESD for platforms that don't have a
> native port called, originally, JESD - made by the same people who make
> WierdX, the Java X Server....

I've got an Emacs X client here. (it's only a partial Xlib
reimplementation though; finishing it off is on my list. Not my idea,
Noah Friedman has done one too.) :)

--
`Frankly I wonder whether you are not writing your posts from underneath a
 bridge.' --- Jason Clifford, to a particularly dense troll

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk